Home > english > Outlook: Cannot turn off the reminder.

Outlook: Cannot turn off the reminder.

August 4th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

Some time ago, my Outlook 2007 kept prompting me with the following error: “Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. Could not open the item. Try again.” After experimenting for quite some time, I finally found a solution somewhere on google. Unfortunately, I only noted down the solution, but not where I found it – please let me know if you think I stole it from you. :-)

edit 2017-06-04 15:43: image removed, source dead

Here’s how we fix this problem:
Download MFCMAPI tool from codeplex.com/MFCMAPI[1], then:

1. Run MFCMAPI on the desktop
  2. Go to “Session” ->Logon and Display Store Table
  3. Select your profile
  4. Doubleclick the affected Mailbox
  5. Expand “Root Container”
  6. Right click “Reminders” and select “Open Contents Table”
  7. New Window Launches with Title “Reminders”
  8. Select the reminder items listed there, Right click and select “Delete Message”. This will delete not only the selected reminders, but also the items they belong to, so you might want to re-add them afterwards[1].
  9. Close MFCMAPI

… and you’re done. Leave me a message if this post was any help to you, or – more importantly – if it wasn’t. :-)

[1] Thanks to Stephen Griffin for the link to the up-to-date version and the heads-up.

Categories: english Tags: , ,
  1. August 10th, 2008 at 20:50 | #1

This will work – until you notice that your appointments are missing. The Reminders search folder is just a view on the folders it monitors. When you delete items from the Reminders folder, you’re deleting the real items.

Of course – if deleting the appointment/task/message that was triggering the reminder dialog works for you, then by all means, delete it. :)

BTW – latest version of MFCMAPI is on Codeplex: http://codeplex.com/mfcmapi

2. August 11th, 2008 at 21:09 | #2

Thank you for this helpful comment, the posting has been updated to reflect your notes.

3. Anthony Undorf
    March 11th, 2009 at 15:52 | #3

Dudes, thanks so much! I had a very similar error that was driving me batty and the steps you provided worked like a charm.

4. Colly Mitchell
    March 23rd, 2009 at 03:30 | #4

I can’t get past step #5: “Expand Root Container.” Not sure what you mean by this…

5. March 23rd, 2009 at 19:13 | #5

@Colly Mitchell
    You need to doubleclick the affected mailbox. A new window will open up, containing a list item on the left, named “Root Container”. Doubleclick it or select the “+”-Sign next to it.
    Blogpost has been updated to reflect this behaviour more precisely.

6. March 27th, 2009 at 23:23 | #6

Thanks for the fix. But now when my Outlook 2007 opens I get the error message “Object could not be found” for the To-Do Bar. Any suggestions?
    Many Thanks.

7. Mike
    April 7th, 2009 at 14:01 | #7

Worked like a charm , thank you.

8. Rachael Bermingham
    May 4th, 2009 at 21:40 | #8

Brilliant – many thanks.

9. October 7th, 2009 at 23:45 | #9

i followed your steps….. when i use MFCMAP it deletes the reminder or appointment reminder to the deleted items….

i dont want this to happen….whenever a reminder comes and if hit on dismiss, it should never remind me again but should stay in the calendar items…but instead i get Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again.

but where as MFCMAP will delete reminder completely to deleted items, if this is the case i can delete a reminder or appointment myself , why should i use MFCMAP PROGRAM….

10. Chip M
    November 11th, 2009 at 22:29 | #10

This worked perfectly. Found similar solution on other sites, but had bad links to tool. Thanks.

11. Texas_Gient
    December 8th, 2009 at 23:49 | #11

No doubt. This is the solution.

12. vRob
    December 18th, 2009 at 10:45 | #12

This worked! Thanks very much!!!

13. January 26th, 2010 at 15:51 | #13

Very helpful. Now Bill Gates isn’t popping up with an undeletable false reminder everytime I start Outlook. Thank you!

14. DJ
    August 10th, 2010 at 14:38 | #14

Thanks!

Funny enough Microsoft used this tool to remedy an issue with a mailbox that seems to have fowarded emails to an old domain.

15. ladyfalcon
    September 16th, 2010 at 04:13 | #15

Thank you so much for this. Very helpful! There were a few inconsistencies in the instructions when the latest version is used, but not so far off.

16. Chin Ho Five-0
    December 10th, 2010 at 17:33 | #16

I was able to delete most of the reminders, except 2. They won’t delete and the reminders keep popping up. Thanks.

17. December 15th, 2010 at 16:51 | #17

Great help bro. It worked like a GEM. I have been getting the reminders for one message for which I was not able to either snooz or dismiss but with the steps provided by you I am able to delete. To right click on Reminders, one has to expand Finder under Root – Mailbox to see Reminders then they can right click to open Contents table.

18. Bob
    January 21st, 2011 at 20:15 | #18

This worked for me. Thanks

19. Pat
    April 14th, 2011 at 22:11 | #19

Thank you. Your suggestion worked perfectly.

20. Brian